- Course Code: UKVC20DLS
- Location: Online
- Duration: 1.75 hours
- Cost: £99.00
- Qualification: All modern browsers and devices
- Course Access: 12 months
- Exams Included: Yes
- Compatibility: All major browsers and devices
Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards
When a person is determined as being mentally incapable of making decisions, Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards help keep them safe from harm by allowing others to make decisions for them. However, this is not an automatic process and an individual can be found to be mentally incapable only after conducting a series of assessments.
Care homes and hospitals must always keep their patients’ best interests as their top priority while applying for authorisation. It’s extremely important to choose the least restrictive option for the person in question, while balancing his or her need for freedom and independence.
What you will learn:
- Who needs Deprivation of Liberty safeguards and why precautions are necessary
- Who can apply for authorisation, and the proper way to obtain standard or urgent authorisations
- How to respect the rights of the person in question, and upholding his or her interests at all times
- The codes of practice and basic principles that should always be followed while applying for Deprivation of Liberty authorisation
- The different types of assessments that need to be performed before applying for DoLS authorisation
- The individuals whose views should be taken into account by the assessors
Benefits of the Course:
- You can help a patient or a family member by providing important information to assessors before authorisation is issued
- If you work in a care home or hospital, you will be able to identify patients who need Deprivation of Liberty for their own safety
- You will be able to keep a patient’s best interests at heart while implementing Deprivation of Liberty recommendations at the same time
- If you notice a patient being unlawfully or unfairly deprived of their liberty, you will be able to alert relevant authorities about the issue
Who can take the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards Certificate course?Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The course is broken down into 3 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?Once you have completed all 3 modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the 3 modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for the test is 70%.
What happens if I fail the test?If you don’t pass the test first time you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it. If you would prefer us to post you a certificate to a UK address, there will be an admin charge of £10 (certificates sent internationally may cost more).
How can I pay?You can either use your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Solo cards or PayPal account to pay for the online course. Our site uses the latest SSL encryption to ensure your safety. All payments are handled securely by PayPal.
How long after payment can I begin the course?You can begin the course immediately after your payment has been received. You will create your login details during the checkout process. We will also send you an email confirming your login details.
How long does it take to complete the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards Certificate course?We estimate that the course will take about 1.75 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.
How long is my certificate valid for?Once you have been awarded your certificate it is valid for life. The certificate does not expire or need renewing.