- Course Code: UKMEC17DIY
- Location: Online
- Duration: 20 hours
- Cost: £299.00
- Qualification: All modern browsers and devices
- Course Access: 12 months
- Exams Included: Yes
- Compatibility: All major devices and browsers
DIY Home Improvement and Maintenance Diploma
The DIY Home Improvement and Maintenance Diploma course contains all the information you need to successfully begin your career as a handyman. Upon completion, you will be able to complete commonly sought after repairs and acquire the skills necessary to be successful in business.
This course gives you a complete overview of everything you need to know as a handyman, even if you are new to the field. You will learn everything from basic training in common areas to more specialised skills. We have designed the course to give you the tools you need to begin, and run, a successful handyman company.
The course is run entirely online, allowing students the opportunity to learn at their own pace. We provide you with access to course materials 24 hours a day, allowing you to study whenever and wherever is convenient for you.
Our modules are short, flexible and easy to navigate. If you have questions or concerns, there is online help available to you.
At the conclusion of the course, students must take a multiple choice exam. Once you have successfully passed your exam, you will receive a course diploma. You may download and print the diploma from home to display with pride. Alternatively, we can also post your diploma to you for a small fee.
What You Will Learn
The DIY Home Improvement and Maintenance Diploma course has been created to offer all students a full overview of how to succeed in this thriving field. After finishing the course, you will have the skills needed to run a profitable business.
This course covers the following information:
- Introduction to handyman work in general
- How to meet clients and establish the requirements of the job
- What supplies, equipment and tools you will need
- Basic DIY skills you should master
- The ins and outs of a domestic plumbing system
- How to complete work on a domestic electrical system
- Identifying and repairing problems with windows and doors
- Decorating and DIY décor basics
- How to repair or install various flooring options
- Completing exterior work on homes and businesses
- Running a successful business
Benefits of the DIY Home Improvement and Maintenance Diploma
Students who take the handyman course find that there are several benefits. These include:
- The flexibility to study from any location you choose, as long as there is an internet connection.
- You can study at a pace that is comfortable to you, without the pressure of deadlines or due dates.
- Students can study using any device they wish, including PC, mobile phone or tablet.
- The course materials are divided into short, easy to navigate modules, making learning an enjoyable experience.
- Online support is available if you run into issues or have questions.
- You are able to access the full syllabus at all times, helping to keep you focused and on track as you work your way through the modules.
- Increase your confidence in the field while learning valuable skills at your own pace.
- Students will obtain a recognised and certified diploma upon completion, improving job prospects.
- Affordable course material that is available 24 hours a day.
- Why a handyman should do much more than minor repairs
- The components that make a home function and how they work together
- How some of the small jobs you're asked to do will lead to new opportunities
- Why you need to know just as much about the exterior of homes as you do the interior
- Why every homeowner will not be your target customer
- How to minimise your face time and maximise your billable time
- The one pertinent document you need to provide estimates
- How to handle client meetings when meeting for the first time
- Everything you need to get started as a handyman
- The primary plumbing equipment and tools required to provide services
- Why it is important to have a professional painter’s kit
- The optional tools you will need to have to provide services
- How cold water systems work
- How hot water systems work
- All about stop valves and where to find them
- Differences between direct and indirect water systems and how to identify each one
- The most efficient material for electrical wiring
- What insulators are and why they matter
- The only types of electrical jobs you can undertake as a handyman
- How alternating currents work and how to find the AC level in the UK
- Working with handsaws safely and efficiently
- Knowing what general tools you will require for the job
- How to drill holes
- How to find studs
- How to use power tools at a basic level
- Marking and measuring
- What other tools you might require
- How to mix up concrete
- Everything you need to know about fixing kitchen plumbing and taps
- Understanding the different parts of a tap
- The causes of tap leaks and how to fix them
- The tools you need to fix taps
- How to change bathroom and kitchen taps
- How to fix blocked sinks
- How to perform washing machine related plumbing needs
- How to install washing machines
- Types of doors, locks and windows
- Updating and replacing
- Bettering security in client’s homes
- Common window malfunctions and their go-to solutions
- Safety when decorating and upgrading
- Painting and wallpapering
- Using a level to hang various wall structures
- Installing a cat flap, tiling, skirting, coving and room insulation and dealing with plasterboard
- How to lay carpet and laminate
- How to lay linoleum and vinyl
- Flooring problems and their solutions
- What renovating skills you require
- Everything you need to know about working on home exterior jobs
- How to repair guttering
- What you need to know about shed and fence repairs
- Working on exterior lighting
- How to register your new company
- How to apply for a business loan
- Setting up the beginnings of your business structure
- Health and safety laws that affect you as a handyman
- How to grow your customer base in the beginning
- How to rate your different costs and labour hours
- Where to begin with marketing and taking your company to social media
- Getting a better understanding of how insurance works
Who can take the DIY Home Improvement and Maintenance Diploma course?Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The course is broken down into 15 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?Once you have completed all 15 modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the 15 modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for the test is 70%.
What happens if I fail the test?If you don’t pass the test first time you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it. If you would prefer us to post you a certificate to a UK address, there will be an admin charge of £10 (certificates sent internationally may cost more).
How can I pay?You can either use your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Solo cards or PayPal account to pay for the online course. Our site uses the latest SSL encryption to ensure your safety. All payments are handled securely by PayPal.
How long after payment can I begin the course?You can begin the course immediately after your payment has been received. You will create your login details during the checkout process. We will also send you an email confirming your login details.
How long does it take to complete the DIY Home Improvement and Maintenance Diploma course?We estimate that the course will take about 20 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.
How long is my certificate valid for?Once you have been awarded your certificate it is valid for life. The certificate does not expire or need renewing.