- Course Code: UKFEC17FDD
- Location: Online
- Duration: 16 hours
- Cost: £299.00
- Qualification: All modern browsers and devices
- Course Access: 12 months
- Exams Included: Yes
- Compatibility: All major devices and browsers
Fashion Design Diploma Course
The fashion design course was written for students who are interested in working in the steadily growing fashion industry. With this online training course, you will have all the information necessary to successfully begin a career in this field.
Fashion design enables individuals to study fashion trends, sketch ideas and create designs. As you work through this course, you will gain a comprehensive overview of the design industry, elements of design and career options within the field.
This convenient online course provides students with the unique opportunity to learn course material at their own pace. You will have access to comprehensive study material 24 hours a day ensuring that you can study anytime, anywhere.
Many individuals who take the course are still able to work full time, which ensures that you can maintain your current lifestyle whilst working toward achieving your career goals.
You can access this course from any internet-enabled device. As you work through the programme, you will find the short, flexible modules incredibly easy to navigate. However, if you find you have any questions, you can access online support while you train.
Before receiving your diploma, you must complete and pass a multiple-choice exam. After successfully passing your course, you can download your diploma right from home. If you prefer, we can post it to you at an additional cost.
What You Will Learn
The fashion design course will cover the following information:
- An introduction to common fashion terminology
- The skills necessary to become a fashion designer
- The five stages of a fashion cycle
- The history of fashion
- The elements and principles of fashion design
- How to conduct fashion market research and identify your target customer
- Fashion design forecasting
- How to create mood boards
- Fashion design sketching
- Garment sample stages
- An overview of material terminology
- The main fibre groups used in the fashion industry
- Textile fibres and their properties
- An overview of fabric construction
- Fabric performance characteristics and finishes
- How to source materials, trims and contractors
- Draping, cutting and sewing essentials
- Sewing techniques for fashion design
- Sizing and grading
- Garment support and structure
- Buttons, enclosures and finishes
- Garment construction
- Fittings, revisions and costing
- Garment tech packages
- Finding a clothing manufacturer and preparing for mass production
- Making your clothing line, domain name and trademark
- Creating your business plan
- Financing your line and finding resources in the United Kingdom
- Selling and marketing your fashions
- Finding models and launching a fashion show
- Careers in fashion design
- Starting your own fashion design business
- The fashion industry in the United Kingdom
- Preparing and presenting your portfolio
Benefits of the Fashion Design Course Diploma
When you work towards earning your fashion design diploma, you will benefit from the following:
- The ability to study from anywhere at any time that works for you, as long as there is an internet connection
- Study at your own pace. There is no time limit, so if it takes you days or months, you can still complete the course
- The ability to study from any device including computers, mobile phones or tablets
- You benefit from easy to manage modules, which help to make studying a gratifying experience
- Convenient online support is available to help you stay on the right track
- Access to a comprehensive syllabus, which puts you on the fast track to becoming an expert in the field
- Improve your prospects while applying for opportunities in the design industry
- Receive a certified diploma that is respected in the industry
- An affordable pricing structure
- The Daily Tasks of a Fashion Designer
- The Different Types of Fashion Design
- The Skills Necessary to be a Fashion Designer
- Common Fashion Design Terminology
- Fashion Trends of the 19th Century
- 19th Century Fashion Influencers
- Fashion Trends of the 20th Century
- 20th Century Fashion Designers
- The Elements of Fashion Design
- The Principles of Fashion Design
- Understanding Fashion Design Styles
- Fashion Market Research
- How to Create a Mood Board
- A Look at the Design Development Process
- Fashion Design Sketching
- Sketching with Flat Schematics
- An Overview of Material Terminology
- The Main Fibre Groups Used in the Fashion Industry
- Understanding Textile Fibres and their Properties
- An Overview of Fabric Construction
- Sourcing Materials and Contractors
- Fabric and Trim Storyboards
- Patternmaking for Fashion Design
- Sizing, Grading, and Measurements
- Fitting the Toile and Altering the Pattern
- Cutting and Laying Your Pattern
- Garment Construction for Fashion Design
- Surface Specific Techniques
- Garment Support and Structure
- Finishes, Buttons and Trimmings
- Finding a Clothing Manufacturer for Your Line
- Creating a Garment Tech Pack
- Developing a Business Plan
- Owning a Business in the United Kingdom
- How to Start a Clothing Label
- Financing Your Clothing Label
Module 10: The Fashion Industry, Career Opportunities, Resources in the UK and Developing Your Brand
- The Fashion Industry in the United Kingdom
- Career Opportunities in Fashion Design
- Resources in the United Kingdom
- Developing Your Brand Identity
Who can take the Fashion Design Diploma course?Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The course is broken down into 10 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?Once you have completed all 10 modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the 10 modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for the test is 70%.
What happens if I fail the test?If you don’t pass the test first time you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it. If you would prefer us to post you a certificate to a UK address, there will be an admin charge of £10 (certificates sent internationally may cost more).
How can I pay?You can either use your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Solo cards or PayPal account to pay for the online course. Our site uses the latest SSL encryption to ensure your safety. All payments are handled securely by PayPal.
How long after payment can I begin the course?You can begin the course immediately after your payment has been received. You will create your login details during the checkout process. We will also send you an email confirming your login details.
How long does it take to complete the Fashion Design Diploma course?We estimate that the course will take about 16 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.
How long is my certificate valid for?Once you have been awarded your certificate it is valid for life. The certificate does not expire or need renewing.