- Course Code: UKMG16HID
- Location: Online
- Duration: 20 hours
- Cost: £598.00
- Qualification: All modern browsers and devices
- Course Access: 12 months
- Exams Included: Yes
- Compatibility: All major devices / browsers
Hotel Industry Diploma
The hotel industry diploma is a complete overview for anyone who is looking to progress their career in the hospitality industry. It is two information packed courses rolled into one package, giving you insight into the position of a hotel receptionist and a hotel manager, helping you gain the knowledge and skills you need to enjoy a successful career in one of the millions of hotels around the world.
Introduction to the Hotel Industry Diploma
This diploma provides you with lifetime access to the modules which gives you a chance to revisit the modules at any time. The diploma will provide you with useful advice, tips and insight into working within the hotel industry, from communication skills and taking reservations to completing paperwork and understanding the basic terminology used daily in this fast paced and exciting industry.
What You Will Learn
This particular diploma comprises of two courses offering you 39 informative modules. Each course is broken down into easily manageable modules, enabling you to study at your own pace and in the comfort of your own home on any device.
Hotel Receptionist Diploma – 16 modules
In this course, you can expect to learn the following:
- Overview – this helps you understand the role of hotel receptionist
- Learn the basic procedures based around this position from common tasks to taking reservations and your responsibilities.
- Determine the importance of customer service. Learn about communication and how to make a good first impression.
- Identify with the different communication skills. Learn about verbal, non-verbal and written communication skills you will need in this role.
- Learn the importance of excellent telephone etiquette along with your administrative duties and how to prioritise effectively.
- Get advice and tips on dealing with difficult guests. You will also learn about safety and security and your role in ensuring this at all times.
- Know the hospitality standards from branding to star ratings.
- Get insight into the right dress code and why this is so important.
- Learn effective ways to reduce stress.
- Identify with the legal issues surrounding the industry and the importance of adhering to the codes at all times.
Hotel Management Diploma – 23 modules
In this second course of the Hotel Industry Diploma you will learn the following:
- Understand the different products and services offered at hotels. What should be on offer and how to deal with clients when you don't offer a certain product or service.
- Get useful knowledge on hotels from the various room types to the rates, classifications and different staff required.
- Learn the importance of personal appearance and the skills you will need in this industry.
- Know the importance of being able to speak English and why you need excellent local knowledge.
- Learn how to take reservations, how to welcome guests and what telephone skills are needed, such as dealing with wake up calls or room service.
- Make sure you know the various payment methods and how to deal with foreign currency.
- Get valuable insight into the reception area, housekeeping and the leadership qualities you will need.
- Learn the different terminology, know what paperwork you will need to complete and what marketing to consider.
- Another valuable lesson you will get when taking this course is how to deal with emergencies at your hotel.
Benefits of Hotel Industry Diploma
There are numerous benefits to taking the Hotel Industry Diploma. These benefits include:
- 2 Courses in one
- Affordable price
- Gain valuable insight into the industry
- Study from anywhere at any time
- Study at your own pace.
- Modules compatible with all devices - computer, phone or tablet
- Lifetime access to modules
- Online support
- Fast track your career
- Industry recognised diploma
- Online certification confirmation
- Easy to manage modules
- If you don't pass the test first time, you have a second opportunity
- Start using knowledge gained at work from day one
- To learn about different training options for hotel reception jobs
- To understand the career opportunities available in hotel reception
- To know what you need to be a success in hotel reception
- To find out what you can expect throughout this course
- To learn about the most common tasks for hotel receptionists
- To learn how to check guests in and out
- To understand how to take reservations
- To learn about the guest services a hotel receptionist is responsible for
- To learn about the fundamentals of customer service
- To learn about the importance of empathy for travellers
- To understand more about communicating with customers at the desk
- To learn how important a first impression is for a customer
- To learn about the fundamentals of communication
- To understand how verbal skills play a role in hotel reception
- To understand how non-verbal communication skills play a role in hotel reception
- To understand the importance of written communication skills in the workplace
- To understand the fundamentals of telephone etiquette
- To understand why telephone etiquette is important in a hotel
- To learn about the dos of telephone etiquette
- To learn about the don'ts of telephone etiquette
- To learn about difficult hotel guests
- To explore some common types of difficult hotel guests
- To learn some tips that will help in dealing with difficult guests
- To understand how to put these tips into practice
- To learn about the administrative skills, interests, and qualities needed as a hotel receptionist
- To learn about the main duties, clerical, and technical skills required for hotel reception work
- To understand the importance of good communication and organisational abilities
- To know how to prioritise, multitask, and problem solve easily
- To understand the importance of key skills and computer programs for receptionists
- To explain the need for a property management system in hotel reception work
- To be introduced to the OPERA Property Management System program (PMS)
- To become comfortable with the basic functions of the OPERA PMS
- To understand the concept of branding and how it applies to the hospitality industry
- To explain the value of establishing a standard and what is expected from a branded hotel
- To determine the importance and impact of standards in the industry
- To understand what a star rating is and how it is applied to any hotel
- To learn about the importance of teamwork
- To learn about the key characteristics of a team player
- To learn how to work with the kitchen
- To learn how to work with maintenance and housekeeping
- To understand hotel safety and security
- To explore different safety topics that apply to the workplace
- To explore different security topics that apply to the workplace
- To understand the hotel receptionist's role in maintaining a safe and secure environment
- To learn about selling and marketing hotel services as a receptionist
- To differentiate between upselling and cross-selling approaches
- To understand the benefits of reception upselling and cross-selling products and services
- To know some basic hotel sales techniques and when to apply them
- To learn what it means to dress for professionalism
- To understand how to dress for an interview
- To learn about choosing appropriate clothing for work
- To learn about grooming for hospitality
- To explore the definition of stress
- To understand how stress applies to the role of the hotel receptionist
- To discover ways to keep stress under control
- To understand why it is important to control stress in the workplace
- To explain the importance of adhering to codes, laws, and regulations in hospitality
- To understand the rules of disclosure pertaining to business and domain names
- To explain fire safety regulations and how to adhere to them in the hotel
- To know the importance of the Credit Card Order within the Data Protection Act
- To understand the role of the hotel receptionist
- To explore the history of the hotel receptionist
- To explore the basic requirements of becoming a hotel receptionist
- To explore continuing education and training for hotel receptionists
- The basics of the industry.
- The scope of the industry.
- The basics of hotel management.
- Hotel management planning.
- The various products and services you should offer.
- Additional products and services customers often seek.
- How to handle customers when you do not have the products.
- The future of services within the hospitality industry.
- The different room types.
- More about the rates.
- The type of staff that are required for running a hotel.
- The classifications of hotels.
- What is expected from a manager with their appearance.
- The skills expected from a manager.
- Why those skills are important.
- How to build your skill set.
- The importance of language as a hotel manager.
- How to improve your English if required.
- The importance of having local knowledge.
- How to improve your local knowledge.
- Types of customers.
- How to identify their requirements.
- Dealing with walk-in guests.
- Disabled guests.
- How to take reservations by phone.
- How to take reservations by email and online.
- Information you need to learn about them.
- Supplying confirmation of the booking.
- How to greet guests.
- How to perform the checking in procedure.
- How to assign the rooms.
- How to complete the checking out procedure.
- How to correctly interact with the guests.
- The reasons why this makes a difference.
- How not to interact with the guests.
- The reasons why this makes a difference.
- The key to dealing with guests via the telephone.
- How to deal with a wake up call.
- How to deal with guest requests via the telephone.
- How to deal with room service.
- The different payment methods.
- How to deal with foreign currency.
- About providing foreign exchange services.
- How to understand exchange rates.
- What we mean by front desk management.
- The basics.
- Understanding roles.
- The importance of hiring the correct person.
- The basics of housekeeping.
- The basics of servicing rooms.
- The importance of these roles.
- General cleaning of the hotel.
- The basics of building management.
- The basics of facility management.
- Dealing with emergencies.
- The importance of understanding these roles.
- The basic running of the restaurant.
- The basic running of the bar.
- Dealing with the restaurant/bar managers.
- Delegating jobs.
- How to deal with the issue of items that have been lost and found.
- The length of time items are kept.
- How to deal with the issue of late checkouts.
- Dealing with special requests.
- The key terms and their meaning.
- Their importance to the industry.
- Learn what GOPPAR is
- Learn what an unconstrained demand is
- How your career can progress from start to finish.
- The changing responsibilities with this progression.
- The need for additional qualifications.
- International opportunities.
- The qualities of a successful leader.
- How to develop those qualities.
- How to engage with staff.
- Common mistakes that are made with staff.
- The different types of paperwork.
- How to organise things into a system.
- The importance of checking everything.
- The key to not being stressed by piles of paperwork.
- How to troubleshoot.
- Example of issues and how to deal with them.
- How to deal with medical emergencies.
- How to deal with overbooking.
- How to deal with costs.
- The importance of upselling.
- How to provide value for lower costs.
- How to reduce costs.
- The basics of marketing your hotel.
- The importance of keeping up with technology.
- Hotel websites.
- Using third parties.
Who can take the Hotel Industry Diploma course?Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?The Hotel Industry Diploma Course consists of 2 courses:
Each course consists of between 16 and 23 individual modules.
Modules can take from 20 to 90 minutes to complete. You are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Do I have to study the courses in a certain order?No. You can study the courses in any order you choose. If you want to, you can do one module from a course and then move on to the next course.
Where / when can I study the course?You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?Yes. Once you have completed all of the modules for each course there will be a multiple choice test.
The questions will be on a range of topics found within the modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?The pass mark for each test is 70%.
What happens if I fail the test?If you don’t pass the test first time you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it. If you would prefer us to post you a certificate to a UK address, there will be an admin charge of £10 (certificates sent internationally may cost more).
How can I pay?You can either use your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Solo cards or PayPal account to pay for the online course. Our site uses the latest SSL encryption to ensure your safety. All payments are handled securely by PayPal.
How long after payment can I begin the course?You can begin the course immediately after your payment has been received. You will create your login details during the checkout process.
We will also send you an email confirming your login details.
How long does it take to complete the Hotel Industry Diploma course?We estimate that the course will take about 20 hours to complete in total.
How long is my certificate valid for?Once you have been awarded your certificate it is valid for life. The certificate does not expire or need renewing.